Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Felipe in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

San Felipe de Austin Cemetery

 
 
San Felipe de Austin Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 28, 2018
1. San Felipe de Austin Cemetery Marker
Inscription. San Felipe de Austin was established in 1824 as the community and administrative headquarters of Stephen F. Austin's original Anglo American colony in Texas. The site for the township was chosen by Austin and the Baron Felipe Enrique Neri de Bastrop.

The original 1824 Mexican charter for San Felipe de Austin contains a survey which set aside this site for cemetery purposes. Although the earliest documented interment is that of Elisebath J. Eidman in 1846, historical references to earlier deaths in the community suggest burials here prior to that year.

The cemetery consists of a fenced Anglo section containing about 370 grave sites and an adjacent, separately fenced, African American section containing an estimated 200 grave sites, at least three of which are known to be those of former slaves.

From the time of its establishment in 1824 San Felipe de Austin Cemetery was maintained by the town of San Felipe de Austin until 1966. Since that year the town has added land to the cemetery and transferred its ownership and care to two community cemetery associations comprised of descendants of persons interred here. Many of this area's early pioneers and leaders are buried here.

(incise)
James W. Brown Chapter DRT-San Felipe de Austin Cemetery Assn.

 
Erected
San Felipe de Austin Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 28, 2018
2. San Felipe de Austin Cemetery Marker
1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4537.)
 
Location. 29° 47.894′ N, 96° 6.045′ W. Marker is in San Felipe, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is on Campo Santo Street west of Farm to Market Road 1458, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4902 Campo Santo Street, San Felipe TX 77473, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. San Felipe United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); J.J. Josey General Store (approx. 0.6 miles away); A Town Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away); Stephen F. Austin's Cabin (approx. 0.6 miles away); Early Roads To San Felipe (approx. 0.6 miles away); Stephen Fuller Austin (approx. 0.6 miles away); John Bricker (approx. 0.7 miles away); San Felipe de Austin (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Felipe.
 
Also see . . .  San Felipe de Austin Cemetery. (Submitted on May 1, 2018.)
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 30, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Last updated on May 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 30, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement