Near Twin Bridges in Madison County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
The Jeﬀerson Valley
In, early August, 1805, the Lewis and Clark Expedition, westward bound, came up the Jefferson River and passed through this area. The valley was an ancient travel corridor; Lewis noted the presence of an "old Indian road" near the Big Hole River. The further south up the Jefferson the expedition traveled, the more treacherous the river became. The men were forced to pull the canoes upriver with ropes, tripping over slippery rocks and bruising their feet. By the time they reached this point, their feet were so badly swollen they could hardly walk. In addition, Captain Clark hobbled along with a painful infected leg and George Drouillard was injured after taking a fall down a steep bluff. The Corps was also increasingly preoccupied about contacting the Shoshone and obtaining much-needed horses. On August 4th, they reached the forks of the Ruby and Beaverhead rivers. After little debate, Captain Lewis chose the Beaverhead River as their route and proceeded on toward the main range of the Rocky Mountains. They finally met the Shoshone a week later about 50 miles south of here on the Red Rock River.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Lewis & Clark Expedition marker series.
Location. 45° 35.733′ N, 112° 19.043′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is located in a large pull-out and rest area on the west side of the highway, overlooking the Jefferson River. Marker is in this post office area: Twin Bridges MT 59754, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lewis & Clark Camped Here (here, next to this marker); The Trail of Lewis & Clark (approx. 3˝ miles away); Road Agent Trail (approx. 3.6 miles away); Sheave Wheels from the Speculator Mine (approx. 6.6 miles away); Rope Drive Compressor Wheels (approx. 6.7 miles away); Robber's Roost (approx. 16.3 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is a large, composite "billboard-style" marker, suspended from a heavy wooden frame, and in good condition.
Also see . . . Madison County Lewis and Clark Interpretive Park.
In August 1805, the Corps of Discovery under Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark traveled up the Jefferson River to the confluences of four rivers, the Jefferson, Beaverhead (Philosophy), Big Hole (Wisdom) and Ruby (Philanthropy) near present day Twin Bridges. The park offers the public insight into the five days the Corps spent in this area. (Submitted on May 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Exploration • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 59 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.