Liberty in Liberty County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Sam Houston in Liberty County
From 1838 to 1855, Sam Houston practiced law in Liberty, maintaining an office on this site across from the Courthouse Square. Houston's other activities in Liberty County included his attendance at worship services of the Concord Baptist Church (Grand Cane), of which his wife, Margaret Lea Houston, was one of the founders in 1845.
Sam Houston's activities in Liberty County took place while he was serving in various leadership roles for Texas, including President of the Republic of Texas (1836-1838, 1841-1844) and as the first United States Senator for the newly-annexed state of Texas (1846-1859). He has been honored in Liberty County by the naming of Sam Houston Avenue and the Sam Houston Regional Library and Research Center.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9664.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Liberty TX 77575, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sam Houston's Law Office (here, next to this marker); Plaza de Mercado (a few steps from this marker); Tarver Abstract Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Commercial Corner (within shouting distance of this marker); The Seven Courthouses of Liberty County (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain William M. Logan (within shouting distance of this marker); Liberty County (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza de Carcel y Casas de Correccion (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liberty.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 6, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 75 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 2, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. 2. submitted on January 6, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.