Leroy in Genesee County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of the First School
the first school
west of the Genesee River.
Built in 1801.
The first teacher was
Miss Luseba Scott.
Erected by Genesee County.
Location. 42° 58.813′ N, 77° 57.576′ W. Marker is in Leroy, New York, in Genesee County. Marker is on East Main Road (New York State Route 5 at milepost 9.9), ¼ mile east of Circular Hill Road (County Route 25A), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7895 East Main Road, Le Roy NY 14482, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ganson Tavern (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Jell-O Company (approx. 1.3 miles away); Le Roy House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Town of LeRoy (approx. 1.4 miles away); Ingham University Campus (approx. 1.4 miles away); Ingham University (approx. 1.4 miles away); Statue of Liberty Replica (approx. 1.4 miles away); Herman Le Roy's Mill (approx. 1½ miles away).
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 3, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 3, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.