Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palmyra in Fluvanna County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

S. C. Abrams High School

 
 
S. C. Abrams High School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, August 29, 2008
1. S. C. Abrams High School Marker
Inscription. Fluvanna County dedicated its only African American High School on 21 Nov. 1936 and named it the S.C. Abrams High School to honor the Rev. Samuel Christopher Abrams, who served as the county supervisor for the black schools and also as minister in several Baptist churches. Before 1934 black students had to leave the county to attend high school, but in 1934 a temporary high school opened in a wood-frame building adjacent to New Fork Baptist Church. By 1936 money raised by the black community and the county provided black students with Abrams High School, which became a junior high school following the integration of the schools in the 1960s. The Abrams building, located one mile west, has housed administrative offices since 1991.
 
Erected 1997 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number F-48.)
 
Location. 37° 49.71′ N, 78° 16.344′ W. Marker is in Palmyra, Virginia, in Fluvanna County. Marker is at the intersection of James Madison Highway (U.S. 15) and Central Plains Road (Virginia Route 649), on the right when traveling south on James Madison Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Palmyra VA 22963, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured
S. C. Abrams High School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, August 29, 2008
2. S. C. Abrams High School Marker
as the crow flies. “Texas Jack” Omohundro Birthplace (approx. 1.7 miles away); John Jasper (approx. 2.1 miles away); Fluvanna County Confederate Memorial (approx. 2.2 miles away); Fluvanna County Courthouse (approx. 2.3 miles away); Fluvanna County World War Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away); Point of Fork (approx. 3.8 miles away); The “Regular” Methodist Conference (approx. 4.3 miles away); Fork Union Academy (approx. 4.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palmyra.
 
Also see . . .  SC Abrams A Man Of Action. (Submitted on September 23, 2008, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.)
 
Categories. EducationNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
The Abrams Building Sign image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, August 29, 2008
3. The Abrams Building Sign
The S. C. Abrams Building--now a county school administrative building. image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, August 29, 2008
4. The S. C. Abrams Building--now a county school administrative building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2008, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 1,129 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 23, 2008, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.
Paid Advertisement