Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
City of London, England, United Kingdom
 

The Black Friar

 
 
The Black Friar Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 17, 2018
1. The Black Friar Marker
Inscription. This Art Nouveau masterpiece was built in 1905 on the site of a former Dominican friary which existed from 1279 to 1539. Following the 260 years of the Dominican friars, the site became the parliament chamber of the monastery. It is believed that Emperor Charles V, the Papal Magistrate and Henry VIII's court sat on this very site during the dissolution of Henry VIII's marriage to Catherine of Aragon in 1532. The Black Friar has been a favourite watering hole for many since the merry monks first settled on this site. Its unusual shape is due to the fact that all of the surrounding buildings have long since been demolished, taking with them the small alleyways that were once the only access to the pub. This wonderful pub was due for demolition in the Sixties but the public outcry led by Sir John Betjeman and Lady Dartmouth saved the building.
 
Erected by Nicholson's Pubs.
 
Location. 51° 30.731′ N, 0° 6.227′ W. Marker is in City of London, England. Marker is at the intersection of Queen Victoria Street and New Bridge Street on Queen Victoria Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 174 Queen Victoria Street, City of London, England EC4V 4EG, United Kingdom.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of
The Black Friar Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 17, 2018
2. The Black Friar Marker - Wide View
this marker. The Palace of Bridewell (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Victoria R.I. (about 90 meters away); Blackfriars Bridge (about 120 meters away); City of London School for Girls (about 210 meters away); The Daily Courant (about 210 meters away); Ludgate (about 240 meters away); The Old Bell (about 240 meters away); Edgar Wallace (about 240 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in City of London.
 
Also see . . .  Black Friar (pub) (Wikipedia). "The Black Friar is a Grade II* listed public house on Queen Victoria Street in Blackfriars, London....It was built in about 1875 on the site of a former medieval Dominican friary, and then remodelled in about 1905 by the architect Herbert Fuller-Clark. Much of the internal decoration was done by the sculptors Frederick T. Callcott & Henry Poole." (Submitted on May 4, 2018.) 
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionIndustry & Commerce
 
The Black Friar image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 17, 2018
3. The Black Friar
Although not quite visible here, the marker is located just to the right of the entrance that is on the left side, towards the rear of the building.
The Black Friar - Exterior Decoration image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 17, 2018
4. The Black Friar - Exterior Decoration
The Black Friar - Exterior Detail image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 20, 2018
5. The Black Friar - Exterior Detail
The Black Friar - Interior Detail - "Haste is Slow" image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 20, 2018
6. The Black Friar - Interior Detail - "Haste is Slow"
Interior detail of a friar eating. By Henry Poole, RA.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 4, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement