Virginia City in Madison County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
S. R. Buford & Company
Rounded arches and a tall false front characterize Virginia City's first brick building, built by clothing merchant E. J. Walter in 1875. It is said that construction using locally produced bricks was accomplished as a test before the building of the Madison County Courthouse. Backed by banker Henry Elling, Simeon R. Buford opened the region's largest grocery store here in 1878. Buford's was the supply point for most of southwestern Montana, including the infant "Butte City." In later years Butte's huge warehouses would, in turn, supply Buford's own business. Most of the merchandise displayed, including the canned goods, came from Buford's inventory.
This property contributes to the Virginia City Historic District • Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior • In cooperation with the Montana Historical Society
Erected by Montana Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Montana National Register Historical Markers marker series.
Location. 45° 17.583′ N, 111° 56.843′ W. Marker is in Virginia City, Montana, in Madison County. Marker is on West Wallace Street (State Highway 287) west of Jackson Street Touch for map. Marker is a metal plaque, mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, just to the right of the front door. Marker is at or near this postal address: 314 West Wallace Street, Virginia City MT 59755, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Buford Block (here, next to this marker); S.L. Simpson Building (a few steps from this marker); E. L. Smith Store (a few steps from this marker); Frank Prasch Blacksmith Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of First Masonic Meetings (within shouting distance of this marker); G. Goldberg Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Strasburger’s Colorado Store (within shouting distance of this marker); J.B. LaBeau, Jeweler (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Virginia City.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. The Buford Block
Also see . . .
1. Buford Store.
E.J. Walter, a clothing merchant, built this first brick building in Virginia City during the summer of 1875 on the site of his frame "Overland Clothing Store" directly east of the Wells Fargo Office. It may be the oldest standing brick building in the state. Many brick structures built in 1876 are still in existence, including the (Submitted on May 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Simeon R. Buford.
Mr. Buford was a pioneer and one of the leading citizens of Southern Montana, and one of it’s prominent business men. Mr. Buford did not follow the usual plan of the majority of the new comers by becoming a gold seeker in the placer mines and his case was exceptional for he never conducted mining. In 1878 he organized the grocery firm of S. R. Buford & Co. of which the late Henry Elling was the company. It was from that time on that he and Mr. Elling became associated in many enterprises. He was the head of the S. R. Buford & Co. establishment from the day of its organization until his death. (Submitted on May 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7, 8. submitted on May 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.