Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisonburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Big Spring

Our Anchor in Time

 
 
The Big Spring Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 23, 2008
1. The Big Spring Marker
Inscription. “For generations this great spring was the main source of water supply for the town. Before the white man settled around it the Indians and the buffaloes knew it well. It was at the crossing of two old trails—one up and down the Valley, since widened into the Valley Turnpike, the other crossing the Valley from east to west. During the Civil war thousands of soldiers, Blue and Gray, quenched their thirst at this generous place of refreshment. But some time after 1896,when the new court house was erected, the court house square was paved and the old spring had to go the way of civilization.” —Art Folio of the Shenandoah Valley, John Wayland, 1924.

New Springhouse dedicated April 30, 1995. Margaret Grattan Weaver, benefactor.

(on a small brass tablet to the right) The Springhouse was especially enjoyed when Judge George Gilmer Grattan held court on “Court Day” each Monday. • It is our duty to our citizens to recall for them some of the customs, institutions and monuments time has left behind. —The Grattans
 
Erected 1995.
 
Location. 38° 26.95′ N, 78° 52.17′ W. Marker is in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Marker is on Courthouse Square (U.S. 33)
New Springhouse and 1896 Court House image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 23, 2008
2. New Springhouse and 1896 Court House
east of West Market Street (U.S. 33), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisonburg VA 22801, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harrisonburg ( within shouting distance of this marker); Court Square & Springhouse ( within shouting distance of this marker); McNeill’s Rangers ( about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hardesty-Higgins House ( about 700 feet away); Warren-Sipe House ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate General Hospital ( approx. 0.2 miles away); The Woodbine Cemetery ( approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Woodbine Cemetery ( approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisonburg.
 
More about this marker. Brass tablet is also inscribed with lists of patrons, sponsors, and donors along with a list entitled “In Appreciation.”
 
Categories. Natural Resources
 
The Big Spring Marker Tablets image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 23, 2008
3. The Big Spring Marker Tablets
The Big Spring Marker Small Tablet image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 23, 2008
4. The Big Spring Marker Small Tablet
The Big Spring image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 23, 2008
5. The Big Spring
The Big Spring now bubbles up at the center of this rock and flows over the sides of the rock and back under Courthouse Square. The stream emerges a block away south of Water Street between Liberty and Main Streets, behind a parking garage. A sign on the spring in Spanish and English reads “Aqua está mala, favor de no beber. Do not drink water.”
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,284 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 23, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement