Pascagoula in Jackson County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Jackson County Government
Jackson County has seen many governments. The first European settlement in the Mississippi gulf coast area was at present-day Ocean Springs in 1699. The French found the area already occupied by several American Indian tribes, with the primary ones being the Pascagoulas and the Biloxis. Their form of government was the chiefdom, a political structure in which an individual or close-knit group exercised broad rights of authority and privilege, but was also responsible for the group's welfare.
This area remained French until the British gained control in 1763 and renamed their new colony British West Florida. During the Revolutionary War, British forces were expelled by Spanish troops and Jackson County became a part of Spanish West Florida.
The 13 original colonies declared their Independence in 1776. Within a few decades public sentiment demanded the same for the central gulf coast area. In 1810 this resulted in formation of the Republic of West Florida which lasted only 45 days before the United States annexed the area, officially adding it to the Mississippi Territory on May 14, 1812. Jackson County was created on December 18, 1812 (five years before Mississippi achieved statehood).
Jackson County's first courthouses were located in the northern part of the county: Benndale in 1812, nearby Brewer's
The first “modern” courthouse was located at the corner of today's Delmas Avenue and Magnolia Street. The current Courthouse was dedicated on June 16, 1950. Today, the Sheriff, District Attorney, Public Defender, Circuit Clerk maintain offices within the Jackson County Courthouse. The Grand Jury meets in the large courtroom, which also hosts public hearings.
Erected by Jackson County Board of Supervisors.
Location. 30° 21.948′ N, 88° 33.542′ W. Marker is in Pascagoula, Mississippi, in Jackson County. Marker is on Magnolia Street south of Watts Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is a large metal plaque, mounted at waist-level on a post, on the front grounds of the Jackson County Courthouse, near the northwest corner of the
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Scranton's (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pascagoula Fire Fighters (approx. 0.2 miles away); Round Island Lighthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Round Island Lighthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Round Island Lighthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pascagoula Street Railroad and Power Company (approx. half a mile away); Mississippi (approx. one mile away); Jackson County WWII Memorial (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pascagoula.
Also see . . .
1. Jackson County Mississippi History. The county's transition from Spanish to American rule was made in 1810 when it was absorbed into the Mississippi Territory and brought under the Constitution of the United States. The county's timber and sawmill industry prospered in those early days bringing about the first economic boom lasting from 1880 to 1910. Pecans were a big industry at the turn of the century. Shipbuilding was recorded as early as 1838 with Ebenezer Clark's constructing flat-bottomed schooners for coastal trade. (Submitted on May 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Jackson County, Mississippi. The county was severely damaged by both Hurricane Camille in August 1969 and Hurricane Katrina on August 29, 2005, causing catastrophic effects. (Submitted on May 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Pascagoula Indians. When first known in 1699 the Pascagoula Indians lived in southwestern Alabama and southeastern Mississippi, but in the middle eighteenth century they crossed the Mississippi and settled near the mouth of the Red River in Louisiana. In the early nineteenth century pressure from American settlers forced them farther westward. Some of the Pascagoulas entered Texas and lived with the Biloxi Indians near the Neches River in the area of present Angelina County, and others seem to have settled on the Red River in northeastern Texas. (Submitted on May 12, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
4. James Copeland.
James Copeland (1823-1857) was an American outlaw during the early to mid nineteenth century, whose crimes took place mostly, in southern Mississippi and southern Alabama. Copeland set fire to the West Side of Mobile and while the citizens were braving the flames to save what they could, the gang looted the East side. After things cooled down, Copeland set fire to the East side and sacked the West side of the port city. Each time, the raiders loaded boats with their plunder (Submitted on May 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 69 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.