Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Caney in Montgomery County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

New Caney

 
 
New Caney Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, May 13, 2018
1. New Caney Marker
Inscription. Permanent settlement in what is now New Caney began in the 1860s. The area was first called Presswood for the pioneer family of Austin and Sarah (Waters) Presswood. The Presswoods came to Texas in 1862, purchased land in the area, and raised cattle on the open ranges. The family of John Wesley Robinson (1819-1903) also settled here in the 1860s and began farming, cattle raising, and cotton ginning operations.

When the Houston, East and West Texas Railway line was laid through Montgomery County in the 1870s, the community became a shipping point for livestock. It then was known for many years as Caney Station, named for the dense cane brakes growing along nearby creeks. In 1882, when a post office was established, the name New Caney was adopted.

Early industries in New Caney were confined chiefly to those that were necessary to carry on farming and cattle raising. As the timber industry began to flourish, however, mining props, used to support the earth along the side and roof of mining tunnels, were shipped out of New Caney.

The settlement and early history of New Caney are important reminders of the rich heritage of this part of East Texas and Montgomery County.

 
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7892.)
 
Location. 30° 8.392′ N, 95° 13.61′ W. Marker is in New Caney, Texas, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of U.S. 59 and Justice Drive. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the East Montgomery County Courthouse Annex. Marker is at or near this postal address: 21130 US Highway 59, New Caney TX 77357, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Moonshine Hill (approx. 9.7 miles away); Lambrecht's Artesian Well (approx. 9.9 miles away); City of Humble (approx. 10.1 miles away); Humble Lodge No. 979, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 10.1 miles away); Humble Cemetery (approx. 10.3 miles away).
 
Categories. AgricultureRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on May 13, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement