Welsh in Jefferson Davis Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Early Cattle Industry
(side one – English)
Long-horned Spanish cattle introduced by Aroyelles Indians long before the French arrived on the scene; used as foundation stock by pioneers. Acadians and others settled area, 1760’s; developed vacheries (cattle ranches) in this prairie region of Southwest La.
(side two – French)
Erected 1964 by Louisiana Department of Commerce and Industry.
Location. 30° 14.128′ N, 92° 49.296′ W. Marker is in Welsh, Louisiana, in Jefferson Davis Parish. Marker is on South Adams Street (State Highway 99) south of East Hudspeth Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, on
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Le Premier Puits de Pétrole (approx. 9.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Louisiana's Early Cattle Industry.
Cattle were brought to the New World by the Spanish soon after 1492. The vacherie of the old Acadians was the dominant feature of their early cattle industry. It was to them what a rancho or a hacienda was to Spanish-speaking people of Texas and Mexico. The cattle were longhorns which were hearty and about half-wild, easily adaptable to the changing climate and native grasses of Louisiana. (Submitted on May 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Animals • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 70 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.