Waynesville in Haywood County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
surrendered the army of
Western North Carolina,
the last Confederate
force in the state, in
Waynesville, May 6, 1865.
Erected 1941 by Department of Conservation and Development. (Marker Number P-10.)
Location. 35° 29.184′ N, 82° 59.417′ W. Marker is in Waynesville, North Carolina, in Haywood County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 23) near Gruder Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waynesville NC 28786, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thomas's Resting Place (approx. 0.2 miles away); Museum Of N.C. Handicrafts (approx. ¼ mile away); Battle House (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Time Music (approx. 0.3 miles away); N.C. Education Association (approx. half a mile away); Waynesville Engagement (approx. 0.7 miles away); Plott Hound (approx. 1.4 miles away); Turpin's Chapel - Maple Grove United Methodist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waynesville.
Also see . . . General James G. Martin. Short biography of General Martin. Martin served mostly within North Carolina during the war, but did play a role in the 1862 and 1864 defenses of Richmond, Virginia. (Submitted on September 26, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2008, by M. L. 'Mitch' Gambrell of Taylors, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,117 times since then and 20 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on September 24, 2008, by M. L. 'Mitch' Gambrell of Taylors, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.