Near Port Lavaca in Calhoun County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Original Mission Refugio
In 1791, Spaniard priests Manuel De Silva and Joseph Francisco Mariano Garza endeavored to spread the doctrines of Christianity among the native tribes along the Gulf Coast, now called Karankawa, with the added benefit of giving Spain a foothold in the frontier land. Establishing a truce of friendship among the coastal Indians, Garza tried to convince some to join the Mission of Rosario, but not wanting to leave their land, the Indians asked for the establishment of a Mission at the mouth of the Guadalupe River in the heart of Karankawa country. This was a place of protection when they were too closely pressed by their enemies. The site was already known as El Paraje Del Refugio (The Place of Refuge) and inspired by this, Father Silva gave the future Mission the title of Nuestra Senora Del Refugio (Our Lady of Refuge).
On February 4, 1793, the Mission was formally dedicated. While the Mission began with 138 recruits, many were reluctant and those who remained out of the Mission were antagonistic and sometimes hostile and dangerous. The Mission of Refugio remained at this location until April of 1794. During that month, Chief Fresada Pinta and his tribe raided and virtually destroyed the establishment. The Mission was eventually moved to the Rancho De Los Mosquitos, on the southwest side of the Guadalupe River in what
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18201.)
Location. 28° 30.85′ N, 96° 48.778′ W. Marker is near Port Lavaca, Texas, in Calhoun County. Marker is on State Highway 35 1.6 miles west of State Highway 185, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located at the west end of a large pull-out on the south side of the highway. Marker is in this post office area: Tivoli TX 77990, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Green Lake (approx. 1.4 miles away); Cotton Gins of Calhoun County (approx. 3.7 miles away); Preston Rose Austin (approx. 6.1 miles away); Battle of Norris Bridge (approx. 10.8 miles away); Calhoun County Participation During World War II (approx. 13.3 miles away); Calhoun County Hurricanes (approx. Howard Gallemore Hartzog, Sr. (approx. 13.3 miles away); Site of the Town of Linnville (approx. 13.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Lavaca.
Also see . . .
1. Nuestra Señora del Refugio Mission. The last of the Spanish missions in Texas, was founded on February 4, 1793, by Franciscans of the College of Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de Zacatecas, as part of prefect Manuel J. de Silva's ambitious plan to pacify and convert all the Indians living along the Texas coast. The mission was intended to teach European values and Christianity to the Indians as well as the industries of agriculture and cattle raising. However, from the time of its founding, the priests and the neophytes were faced with a variety of problems... (Submitted on May 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Mission Refugio Original Site. In addition to the presidio (fort) and pueblo (town), the mission was one of the three major agencies employed by the Spanish crown to extend its borders and consolidate its colonial territories. In all, twenty-six missions were maintained for different lengths of time within the future boundaries of the state of Texas. (Submitted on May 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Refugio County. In 1795 the mission was moved to a location on the Mission River, at the site of the present town of Refugio. Though the mission attracted few Indians, it was the last Spanish mission to be secularized after the Mexican War of Independence. The mission remained in continuous operation until February 7, 1830, when the last services were held. By then, the area was home to at least 100 Mexicans living on the ranchos they had established, and a small village may already have grown around the site of the old mission. (Submitted on May 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Hispanic Americans • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 91 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.