Bay City in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mexican municipality of Matagorda
Created a county of the same name
Organized in 1837
Named for the Bay
on which it fronts
County Seat, Matagorda 1837-1894
Bay City, since
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 3251.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 28° 58.973′ N, 95° 58.155′ W. Marker is in Bay City, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is on 7th Street (State Highway 35) west of Avenue G, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, near the northeast corner of the Matagorda County Courthouse grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1700 7th Street, Bay City TX 77414, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Matagorda County (within shouting distance of this marker); Ira Ingram (within shouting distance of this marker); Matagorda County Confederate Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bay City Post Office (about 300 feet away); Old Bay City Bank (about 300 feet away); Sugar Cane Mill (about 300 feet away); Matagorda, C.S.A. (about 300 feet away); Bay City Library (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bay City.
More about this marker. Marker is a metal plaque mounted on a waist-high granite pedestal. Marker is accompanied by the cornerstone from the 1895 Matagorda County Courthouse, which is exhibited at the base of this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Matagorda County. The name Matagorda, Spanish for "thick brush," was derived from the canebrakes that formerly lined the shore. Crossed by the once highly flood-prone Colorado River, which bisects it from north to south, the county extends across 1,612 square miles of mostly open prairie. Alonso Álvarez de Pineda mapped the Texas coastline in 1519, but the first recorded European expedition into the Texas interior was conducted by Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca, who sometime after 1528 probably passed through what later became Matagorda County. (Submitted on May 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Matagorda Texas Bay & Beach. Even before Texas independence, Matagorda was the third largest port in Texas. Matagorda was established in 1827 when Stephen F. Austin obtained permission from Mexico to build a town with Elias R. Wightman, Hosea H. League and Ira Ingram as proprietors. Stephen F. Austin had led a group of settlers here to the mouth of the Colorado River. Fifty-two families from New York and New England became the first settlers. In 1830. Matagorda was incorporated and two years later it had over 1400 people. (Submitted on May 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Matagorda County, Texas. Created in 1836 along with twenty-three other counties, Matagorda county assumed its place in the Texas Republic, but it wasn't until 1837 that the organization of the county was completed. In February of 1838 the town of Matagorda was incorporated by special act of the House and Senate. Matagorda county was no different than a number of its sister counties in Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas and California in taking to rice and its allied industries. Introduced in Matagorda county about the turn of the century, the golden-headed crop became one of the major money producers in the county. (Submitted on May 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 64 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 6. submitted on May 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7. submitted on May 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.