Bloomington in Hennepin County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Chief Cloud Man's band lived during the period 1839-1853 in terraces along Long Meadow Lake. Chief Black Dog's village of approximately 600 people was located downriver on the south side of the valley in today's River Hills area of Burnsville. Penasha's Village, the largest of the Dakota villages in this area, was located at the mouth of the Stream of He Who Fears Nothing (today's Nine Mile Creek), which flowed into the Minnesota River near today's 35W Bridge. In 1780 this village had over 400 lodges and approximately 1,800-2,000 people. Further upriver were the villages of Eagle Head (present-day Savage), Shakpe (Shakopee) and Mazomani (Carver Rapids).
A River Valley Home
The wide valley was an oak savannah abounding in animals for hunting and trapping, including deer, elk, wolf, beaver,
During the fall and winter months, the Dakotas lived in tipis sheltered by the bluffs of the valley. They traveled with these tipis out on their annual deer hunt, ranging as far north as the Rum and upper St. Croix Rivers. In the summer, they moved to bark lodges on top of the bluffs to escape the heat and mosquitoes down on the valley floor. It was here on the high, sacred places that they buried their dead on scaffolds.
During the period of the Pond's Oak Grove Mission (1843-52), a small number of Dakota attended the mission school and worship services that were conducted by Gideon and Samuel Pond in the Dakota language. However, many Dakotas were reluctant to give up their native spiritual beliefs and viewed Christianity as a religion for the white people.
Following the treaties of Traverse des Sioux and Mendota (1851) and in the aftermath of the U.S. - Dakota War (1862-63), most of the Dakota were removed from this area and banished from Minnesota. They were forced to live on reservations, scattered throughout the Dakotas and Nebraska. Others fled to Manitoba and Saskatchewan. The U.S. Government and later some Christian denominations tried to force the Dakota to assimilate through boarding schools that prohibited them from speaking their native language or practicing their native spiritual beliefs and customs. However, some Dakota people continued to live in this Oak Grove area until the 1890s, protected by Gideon Pond and his descendants.
Erected by City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation.
Location. 44° 48.718′ N, 93° 16.293′ W. Marker is in Bloomington, Minnesota, in Hennepin County. Marker can be reached from 104th St E. Touch for map. In Pond-Dakota Mission Park at the end of a trail to the south. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 104th St E, Minneapolis MN 55420, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Minnesota River Valley (here, next to this marker); Oak Grove Mission (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Samuel W. and Gideon H. Pond (about 500 feet away); Changing Landscapes (about 500 feet away); Gideon and Agnes Pond House (about 500 feet away); 1856 Federal Style Gideon H. Pond House (about 500 feet away); Pond Family Heritage Timeline (about 700 feet away); Missionaries to the Dakota (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bloomington.
Categories. • Native Americans • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 18, 2018, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. This page has been viewed 88 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 18, 2018, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.