Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chautauqua in Chautauqua County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Miller Park

 
 
Miller Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 18, 2018
1. Miller Park Marker
Inscription. This sylvan tract known as Miller Park honors the memory of Lewis Miller, co-founder in 1874 with Methodist Bishop John Heyl Vincent of the Chautauqua Assembly now known as Chautauqua Institution.

Like that of Lewis Miller himself, the history of Miller Park is indelibly inscribed in the annals of Chautauqua Institution. Chautauqua's first program was held in this grove which served as the first amphitheater. Surrounding this park were the earliest Chautauqua homes, usually tents erected on wooden platforms and later developed into frame houses.

The visitor viewing this memorial marker will see by directing attenetion toward the lake the Lewis Miller bell tower which stands upon Fair Point, site of the old steamer dock, the original gateway to the institution.

Close by, in the opposite direction, stands the chalet-type Miller Cottage, the first permanent cottage at Chautauqua. Indicative of Lewis Miller's genius is that the cottage was among the earliest examples of prefabrication. It was precut in his home city of Akron, Ohio, and was assembled here in time for President Ulysses S. Grant's visit in 1875. Originally, the home was composed of the main structure with a tent annex to it's [sic] right. In 1966, the Miller Cottage was designated a Registered National Historic Landmark.

Thomas Alva Edison married
Miller Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 18, 2018
2. Miller Park Marker
Walkway from Simpson Avenue.
one of Lewis Miller's children, Mina, and was a frequent visitor to the cottage.

Lewis Miller was an inventor, a businessman, and an educator. His talents combined with those of Bishop Vincent to foretell Chautauqua's continuing greatness.
 
Erected by Chautauqua Institute.
 
Location. 42° 12.625′ N, 79° 27.864′ W. Marker is in Chautauqua, New York, in Chautauqua County. Marker is at the intersection of Simpson Avenue and Vincent Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Simpson Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Chautauqua Institution. Marker is in this post office area: Chautauqua NY 14722, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lewis Miller Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); Palestine Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); This Tower (about 700 feet away); Pier Building (about 700 feet away); Pioneer Home (approx. 1.6 miles away); Mayville Station (approx. 2.9 miles away); First Settler (approx. 3 miles away); Tourgee Home (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chautauqua.
 
Also see . . .  Chautauqua Institution - Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 19, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Miller Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, May 18, 2018
3. Miller Park Marker
Chautauqua Lake in background.

 
Categories. Notable Places
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 90 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 19, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.
Paid Advertisement