Near Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
5th Corps, 2nd Division Position
On the afternoon of September 15, 1862, the two regular brigades of Sykes' Division, Fifth Army Corps went into position a few feet west of this road and parallel to it, where they remained until the morning of the 19th.
This tablet marks the right of the Division and of Buchanan's Brigade.
Erected by Antietam Battlefield Board. (Marker Number Q.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Antietam Campaign War Department Markers marker series.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 39° 27.976′ N, 77° 43.05′ W. Marker was near Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker was at the intersection of Porterstown Road and Boonsboro Pike (Maryland Highway 34), on the right when traveling east on Porterstown Road. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Fifth Army Corps (approx. 0.2 miles away); Middle Bridge (was approx. half a mile away but has been reported missing. ); 4th and 12th U.S. Infantry (approx. half a mile away); The Newcomer House Heart of the Civil War (approx. half a mile away); Early's Washington Raid (approx. half a mile away); 1862 Antietam Campaign (approx. half a mile away); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharpsburg.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Sykes' (2nd) Division V Corps Markers
Also see . . . Antietam Battlefield. National Park Service site. (Submitted on April 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 962 times since then. Last updated on May 19, 2018, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.