Staunton, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
T. J. Collins & Son
The description above is from 1906 when T. J. Collins had practiced in Staunton for 15 years. Collins moved to Staunton from Washington, D. C. and designed or remodeled nearly 200 structures of all kinds, including St. Francis Catholic Church, Augusta County Courthouse, Thornrose Cemetery, C & O Railroad Station, and much of the Staunton Military Academy campus. His offices were on the 3rd floor of this building which he also designed.
Erected by Historic Staunton Foundation.
Location. 38° 8.967′ N, 79° 4.359′ W. Marker is in Staunton, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East Beverly Street (Virginia Route 254) and South Augusta Street (Business U.S. 11) on East Beverly Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Staunton VA 24401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Augusta National Bank Building Augusta County World War I Memorial Tablet (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ast Building (about 300 feet away); Augusta County (about 300 feet away); Dr. Alexander Humphreys (about 400 feet away); Mary Baldwin College (about 500 feet away); Dr. William Fleming (about 600 feet away); The Wesleyan Female Institute (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Staunton.
Also see . . . Stauntonís Architecture. This page has photographs of T.J. Collinís work. “Perhaps no single person influenced Stauntonís physical appearance more than T. J. Collins. From 1891 to 1911, Collins designed and remodeled over 200 buildings Staunton and many others in Virginia, including Harrisonburg, Lexington, Waynesboro, and Orange County. Collins worked within a wide range of styles. His office was housed in the Romanesque Revival Style Marquis Building (pictured). His designs can be seen in the Second Empire style Eakleton Hotel (now the Smith Center), the Chateauesque C.W. Miller House, the C&O station and the Richardsonian Romanesque Arista Hoge House (all pictured). After retiring , his son Sam went on to design and remodel hundreds of buildings in the Staunton area and beyond until his own retirement in the 1950s. Joseph Johnson, grandson of T. J., recently retired the family firm and in 1997 donated the Collinsí architectural drawings and historic support materials to Historic Staunton Foundation.” (Submitted on September 25, 2008.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,392 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 25, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the buildings mentioned on this marker • Can you help?