Bellville in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Bellville Turnverein Pavilion
In 1895, the Turnverein purchased the Social Club's property and hired local contractor Joachim Hintz to build this pavilion. It was completed in 1897. One of several polygonal social halls built in Austin County, this 12-sided structure required extra long lumber which was shipped directly from the mills. It became the primary site for community celebrations and activities.
The city of Bellville purchased the property and pavilion in 1937 and sponsored a competition among Texas A&M University students to redesign the park. The winning design, along with a grant from the Federal Works Progress Administration, enabled the city to build new facilities and update the pavilion with modern amenities. It continues to serve as a focal point for many community gatherings.
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11703.)
Location. 29° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 966 E Main St, Bellville TX 77418, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Austin County (approx. 1½ miles away); Liedertafel (approx. 12.3 miles away); Early Texas River Steamers (approx. 12.9 miles away); Stephen F. Austin's Cabin (approx. 13.1 miles away); A Town Hall (approx. 13.1 miles away); Chappell Hill (approx. 13.1 miles away); J.J. Josey General Store (approx. 13.1 miles away); Site of Soule University for Boys (approx. 13.1 miles away).
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 22, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 22, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.