Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Edward in Washington County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Fort House Museum

 
 
Old Fort House Museum Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 13, 2008
1. Old Fort House Museum Marker
Inscription.
This 1772 residence hosted
Generals Schuyler, Washington,
and Arnold. It also served
as a courthouse and a tavern.
Revolutionary War Heritage Trail

 
Erected by State of New York.
 
Location. 43° 15.699′ N, 73° 34.823′ W. Marker is in Fort Edward, New York, in Washington County. Marker is on Broadway, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located on the north side of the Old Fort House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29 Broadway, Fort Edward NY 12828, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Patt Smyth House (here, next to this marker); Smyth House (a few steps from this marker); Gen. Washington (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Moat (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Fort Edward (approx. mile away); Fort Edward (approx. mile away); Northeast Bastion (approx. mile away); The Island (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Edward.
 
More about this marker. The background of the marker contains a map of the State of New York with stars indicating the location of other Revolutionary War Heritage Trail Sites. The caption
Markers at the Old Fort House Museum image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 13, 2008
2. Markers at the Old Fort House Museum
Two markers are found at this location next to the Old Fort House Museum.
reads "The Revolutionary War Heritage Trail links historic sites that tell the story of New York's decisive role in America's fight for independence."
 
Also see . . .  Old Fort House Museum. (Submitted on September 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsWar, US Revolutionary
 
Old Fort House Museum - The Smyth House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 13, 2008
3. Old Fort House Museum - The Smyth House
The Smyth House was constructed by Patrick Smyth in 1772 with timbers taken from the ruins of Fort Edward, a French and Indian War fortification. Smyth was arrested at the house in 1777 by General Benedict Arnold for being a loyalist to the British Crown. During the Revolutionary War, the house was used by both British and American troops as headquarters.
Old Fort House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 13, 2008
4. Old Fort House
The marker is located down the driveway next to the Old Fort House.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,004 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement