Floresville in Wilson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
James Charles Wilson
When this county was created in 1860 by the Eighth Texas Legislature, it was named for Texas patriot James Charles Wilson. A native of England, Wilson (1818-1861) left his homeland in 1836 and by 1839 had settled in Brazoria County, Texas. He studied law there under Judge John W. Harris and future Governor Elisha M. Pease, and boarded with former Provisional Governor Henry Smith.
Wilson had a multifaceted career while a resident of the state. As part of the ill-fated Mier Expedition in 1842, he was held in a Mexican prison until escaping in 1843. He returned to Brazoria County, where he served as editor of the Brazos Planter and a district clerk. After obtaining his law license in 1844, Wilson had a successful law practice, was elected to the Texas Senate, and became Commissioner of Claims to settle problems arising from land grants given under the colonization laws of Spain and Mexico.
During the last years of his life, James C. Wilson moved his family to a homestead near Gonzales, where he continued to practice law and was licensed to preach in the Methodist Episcopal Church. Upon his death in 1861, Wilson was buried in the family cemetery near Gonzales but was later reinterred in the State Cemetery in Austin.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker
Location. Marker has been reported unreadable. 29° 7.985′ N, 98° 9.453′ W. Marker is in Floresville, Texas, in Wilson County. Marker is on 3rd Street north of D Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located on the west side of the Wilson County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1420 3rd Street, Floresville TX 78114, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Wilson County (here, next to this marker); The Flores de Abrego Family and Floresville (a few steps from this marker); Wilson County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Captain Will Wright (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilson County Jail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Old Town: Lodi (approx. half a mile away); Cemetery of Canary Islanders (approx. one mile away); Vicinity of site: "Mision de las Cabras" (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Floresville.
Also see . . .
1. James Charles Wilson. James Wilson lived in Brazoria, where he became district clerk on March 1, 1845. He represented Calhoun, Jackson, Matagorda, and Wharton counties in the House of the Third Legislature. From November 1851 to February 1852 he was a member of the Fourth Legislature and served again in (Submitted on May 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. from James Charles Wilson headstone at Texas State Cememtery in Austin. Captured at Mier, Mexico December 26, 1842 and imprisoned in Castle Perote. Refused to claim British protection, even to secure his release. Said he owed allegiance only to the Republic of Texas. Was a Senator in the Legislature of the State of Texas. (Submitted on May 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. DeWitt Colony Biographies: James Charles Wilson. According to Mier prisoner Bigfoot Wallace in his memoirs to author A.J. Sowell (Life of Bigfoot Wallace), James Charles Wilson was a British subject, the British consul in Mexico obtained permission for his release prior to the executions at Salado, but he refused special treatment and drew beans along with the other prisoners. Wilson drew white and survived. He escaped after the drawing and executions. (Submitted on May 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Patriots & Patriotism • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.