Fort Edward in Washington County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Patt Smyth House
In 1777, the British planned to sever New York from New England by occupying the Hudson Valley. When the Continental troops garrisoned Fort Edward in June, Generals Schuyler and Arnold made this house their quarters. They abandoned Fort Edward on July 31st as British General Burgoyne headed south from Lake George. The British troops regrouped at Fort Edward, where Burgoyne and German officer, Friedrich von Riedesel, tool over the house. From here, Burgoyne sent a detachment to Bennington, Vermont, where General John Stark of New Hampshire routed them on August 16th.
Burgoyne ventured west across the Hudson on September 13th, where he was defeated by the Continentals at Saratoga on October 7th. Burgoyne retreated north, giving up the British northern campaign, and Fort Edward returned to American hands. General Stark made Smyth’s house his quarters and barricaded it with wooden pickets. Some called it Fort Stark. Smyth sold the house to Washington’s surgeon, John Cochran, after he moved
Revolutionary War Heritage Trail
Erected by State of New York.
Location. 43° 15.699′ N, 73° 34.823′ W. Marker is in Fort Edward, New York, in Washington County. Marker is on Broadway, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located on the north side of the Smyth House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29 Broadway, Fort Edward NY 12828, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Fort House Museum (here, next to this marker); Smyth House (a few steps from this marker); Gen. Washington (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Moat (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Fort Edward (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Edward (approx. ¼ mile away); Northeast Bastion (approx. ¼ mile away); The Island (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Edward.
More about this marker. The right of the marker contains a map of “Part of the Counties of Charlotte and Albany in the Province of New York.”
The left of the marker features a “Portrait of Mme. Von Riedesel" with the quote
“We passed very happily the three weeks together. The country around us was beautiful,
- Madame von Riedesel, August 1777
Also see . . . Old Fort House Museum. (Submitted on September 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • War, French and Indian • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,051 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.