Foggy Bottom in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This building known as the Octagon built in 1800 for Col. John Tayloe of Mount Airy, Virginia, was occupied by President Madison after the burning of the President's House by the British on August 14, 1814. Here the Treaty of Ghent was ratified by Madison February 17, 1816.
Location. 38° 53.78′ N, 77° 2.491′ W. Marker is in Foggy Bottom, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of 18th Street NW and New York Avenue NW, on the right when traveling north on 18th Street NW. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1799 New York Avenue NW, Washington DC 20006, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Peace at Last! (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named The Octagon (a few steps from this marker); Gen. John A. Rawlins Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Marshall (about 400 feet away); 1801 F Street (about 400 feet away); The American Red Cross - Harvard Field Hospital Unit (about 600 feet away); National Headquarters, American Red Cross (about 700 feet away); Winder Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Foggy Bottom.
Categories. • Politics • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2017, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 75 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on May 23, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 14, 2017, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 3. submitted on December 12, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.