Royal Borough of Greenwich in Greater London County, England, United Kingdom
Hallís improved stockless anchor, 1963
The stockless anchor was developed to avoid the difficult and labour-intensive task of stowing Admiralty-pattern anchors.
Stockless anchors can be hauled right up into the hawse-pipe with the flukes close against the ship's side. Hall's patent anchor was introduced in 1888 and the improved version in 1910.
This example, made in 1963, belonged to the Union Castle Mail Steam Ship Co., as a spare for vessels of the South African Mail Service and the cruise liner Reina del Mar. It serves as a memorial to the Cape Mail Service, operating from 1857 to 1977. † EQS0186
Location. 51° 28.876′ N, 0° 0.329′ W. Marker is in Royal Borough of Greenwich, England, in Greater London County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Trafalgar Road and King William Walk, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located at the National Maritime Museum. Marker is in this post office area: Royal Borough of Greenwich, England SE10 9LW, United Kingdom.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Byerís improved stockless anchor, 1953 (a few steps from this marker); Bellot Memorial (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Turkish Bronze Gun Britain's Oldest Brewer (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); New Zealand Memorial (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Greenwich Foot Tunnel (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); a different marker also named Greenwich Foot Tunnel (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Family Tombstone of Edmund Halley (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Royal Borough of Greenwich.
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 25, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 25, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.