Brunswick in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
World War II Memorial
Marker series. This marker is included in the US Navy Armed Guard marker series.
Location. 31° 8.923′ N, 81° 29.833′ W. Marker is in Brunswick, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is at the intersection of Gloucester Street (State Highway 25) and Bay Street (U.S. 25/341) on Gloucester Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brunswick GA 31520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brunswick's "Liberty Ships" (here, next to this marker); Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 -1902 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Glynn County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Glynn County War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Colored Memorial School and Risley High School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sidney Lanier (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mark Carr (approx. 0.9 miles away); Lanier's Oak (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brunswick.
Also see . . .
1. Merchant Marine, Wikipedia Entry. The United States Merchant Marine refers to the fleet of US civilian-owned merchant ships—operated by either the government or the private sector, that are engaged in commerce or transportation of goods and services in and out of the navigable waters of the United States. (Submitted on September 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Liberty Ship. Eighteen American shipyards built 2,751 Liberties between 1941 and 1945, easily the largest number of ships produced to a single design. (Submitted on September 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
3. American Merchant Marine at War. Includes a list of those built in Brunswick... Liberty ships were nicknamed "ugly ducklings" by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt (Submitted on September 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • War, World II • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,032 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.