Harper in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Harper Independent School District
Mary D. Rogers sold additional acreage for school expansion in 1930. Several schools consolidated with Harper in 1940, and additions to the school, completed by 1942, were built through the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). In 1943 five acres purchased from Ed Kensing allowed expanded student activities. The school introduced a number of new activities in the 1940s, including six man football played on cleared pasture land or in the rodeo arena of the community park. At several times throughout its history,
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16502.)
Location. 30° 18.011′ N, 99° 14.558′ W. Marker is in Harper, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 290 and Ranch to Market Road 783, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 290. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23122 US-290, Harper TX 78631, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the McDonald Massacre (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Peter Lutheran Church (approx. 12 miles away); Squaw Creek Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 12.4 miles away); Spanish Road to Santa Fe, 1808 (approx. 12.4 miles away); Lange's Mill (approx. 14.1 miles away).
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 26, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 26, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.