Tenleytown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
School of International Service
The American University's desire to create a school to train men and women capable of responding to the challenge of the changing world was fulfilled in the fall of 1957 with the opening of the School of International Service. American University President Hurst R. Anderson secured funding from the Methodist Church for the development of the school and appointed Ernest S. Griffith as founding Dean.
Erected 1993 by American University.
Location. 38° 56.183′ N, 77° 5.289′ W. Marker is in Tenleytown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker can be reached from Nebraska Avenue north of New Mexico Avenue NW, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. On the grounds of American University on the side of the School of International Service that faces the quad. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4400 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington DC 20016, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Jeju Dolhareubang (within shouting distance of this marker); Korean Cherry Trees (within shouting distance of this marker); Mary Eliza Graydon (within shouting distance of this marker); John Fletcher Hurst (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Navy Bomb Disposal School (within shouting distance of this marker); Battelle Memorial Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Birthplace of the Army Chemical Corps (about 400 feet away); Jeju Jeong-nang (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tenleytown.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Peace • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 27, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 27, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.