Tenleytown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mary Eliza Graydon
Mary Eliza Graydon (d. 1926) was The American University's most generous early benefactor. A devout Methodist, she was inspired by Bishop Hurst's plan for a Methodist university and contributed funds over a period of 50 years. In honor of her grandfather, she established the Patrick Clendenen Endowment Fund intended to support teaching and to promote the higher education of women, rather than financing building projects. In recognition of Mary Graydon's continued support, this building — begun in 1918 by the U.S. Government during WWI and completed in 1925 by the university — was named for her in 1945.
Erected 1993 by American University.
Location. 38° 56.207′ N, 77° 5.316′ W. Marker is in Tenleytown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker can be reached from Nebraska Avenue NW north of New Mexico Avenue NW, on the right. Touch for map. On the grounds of American University on the side of the Graydon Building that faces the quad. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4400 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington DC 20016, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. School of International Service Battelle Memorial Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Jeju Dolhareubang (within shouting distance of this marker); Korean Cherry Trees (within shouting distance of this marker); John Fletcher Hurst (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Navy Bomb Disposal School (within shouting distance of this marker); American University September 11 Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Birthplace of the Army Chemical Corps (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tenleytown.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • War, World I • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 27, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 27, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.