Tenleytown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Battelle Memorial Building
(From a "Ritual of Dedication" spoken at the dedication ceremony December 7, 1926.)
Constructed in 1926, the Battelle Memorial Building was the university's first free-standing library. The building was named for the family of J. Gordon Battelle (1883-1923), a trustee of the university from 1920 to 1923. The Tompkins wing, named for the developer constructing the addition, was opened in December 1957 and the north wing added in 1964. The library collections were moved to the newly completed Bender Library building in 1979. With a major contribution from trustee Robert P. Kogod and his wife Arlene, the building was renovated and became the home of the Robert P. and Arlene R. Kogod College of Business Administration. The law library opened in the A. Reckman Myers Hall wing on December 6, 1979.
Erected 1993 by American University.
Location. 38° 56.227′ N, 77° 5.281′ W. Marker is in Tenleytown, District of Columbia, in Washington Touch for map. On the grounds of American University on the side of the Battelle Memorial Building that faces the Quad. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4400 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington DC 20016, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U.S. Navy Bomb Disposal School (within shouting distance of this marker); John Fletcher Hurst (within shouting distance of this marker); American University September 11 Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Mary Eliza Graydon (within shouting distance of this marker); Korean Cherry Trees (within shouting distance of this marker); Jeju Dolhareubang (within shouting distance of this marker); School of International Service (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); World War II Memorial (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tenleytown.
Categories. • Education • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 27, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 27, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.