Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Stillman House / Residencia Stillman
Built in 1850 in Greek Revival style by Henry Miller, who operated the nearby Miller Hotel, for Brownville founder, Charles Stillman, and his new bride, Elizabeth. They occupied the house until 1853 and their first two children were born here. In 1858 Miller sold the house to prominent local merchant Manuel Treviño de los Santos Coy, who hosted Gen. Porfirio Diaz in 1876 as Diaz planned his eventually successful revolution to assume the presidency of Mexico. The Treviño home served as the Mexican Consulate during the Diaz era. It also served for a time as the home of Thomas Carson, long-time Brownsville Mayor and Cameron County Judge. The house remained with the Treviño family until purchased in 1958 by Chauncey D. Stillman, great grandson of Charles, who restored the structure and donated it to the city as a museum.
Construida en 1850 en estilo neogriego por Henry Miller, gerente del cercano Hotel Miller, para el fundador de Brownsville, Charles Stillman, y de su nueva esposa, Elizabeth. La casa fue ocupada hasta 1853, y en ella nacieron sus dos primeros hijos. En 1858, Miller
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2018 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. 25° 54.052′ N, 97° 29.787′ W. Marker is in Brownsville, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is on East Washington Street (Business U.S. 77) south of East 13th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1325 E Washington St, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stillman House Museum (here, next to this marker); Brownsville Home of Charles Stillman Stillman House (a few steps from this marker); Home of Charles Stillman (a few steps from this marker); San Roman Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); San Román Building (about 400 feet away); Manautou Building (about 400 feet away); Juan H. Fernandez Store (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
Regarding Stillman House / Residencia Stillman. Texas Historic Landmark (1964), National Register of Historic Places (1979). This building now serves as the Stillman House Museum.
Also see . . .
1. Brownsville officials unveil three bilingual markers. (News story and pictures on the unveiling of this marker, from The Brownsville Herald, May 10, 2018) Brownsville officials celebrated the unveiling of three historical markers Thursday at Texas Southmost College and downtown, the latest move in their strategy to make the city a destination for history buffs. The City of Brownsville partnered with the college and Brownsville Community Improvement Corporation on Texas Historical Commission markers for the Fort Brown Post Hospital, Fort Brown Commissary and Guardhouse, and the Stillman House. (Submitted on May 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The Stillman House. Surrounded by a black metal fence, the Stillman House is among the oldest surviving structures in Brownsville. The house seen today is the result of additions made by the Trevino family during their time in the house. The original windows, shutters and doors are still in place and the breezy courtyards enjoyed by the Stillman and Trevino families still offer a respite from the hot Texas sun. (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on May 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.