Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Stillman House Museum
Built in 1850, this Greek Revival home was occupied in succession by Charles Stillman and his family; Thomas Carson, longtime Brownsville Mayor; and the Manuel Trevino de los Santos Coy family. At one time, it housed the Mexican Consulate.
Esta casa fue construida en 1850. Fue ocupada sucesivamente por el Sr. Stillman y su familia, el Sr. Thomas Carson, Alcade de Brownsville, el Sr. Manuel Treviño de los Santos Coy y su familia, y posteriormente por el Consulado Mexicano.
The Brownsville Historical Association
Erected by The Brownsville Historical Association.
Location. 25° 54.05′ N, 97° 29.785′ W. Marker is in Brownsville, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is on East Washington Street (Business U.S. 77) south of East 13th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1325 E Washington St, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Stillman House / Residencia Stillman (here, next to this marker); Stillman House (here, next to this marker); Home of Charles Stillman (here, next to this marker); Brownsville Home of Charles Stillman (a few steps from this marker); San Roman Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); San Román Building (about 400 feet away); Manautou Building (about 400 feet away); Juan H. Fernandez Store (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
More about this marker. This marker is included in the Brownsville Heritage Trail series.
Regarding Stillman House Museum. Texas Historic Landmark (1964), National Register of Historic Places (1979).
Also see . . . A Brief Timeline of the Stillman House Museum.
1850: Built by Henry Miller, owner of the Miller Hotel in downtown Brownsville.
1850: Miller rents out the house to his partner, Charles Stillman. Stillman moves into the house with his new bride, Elizabeth Stillman (nee Goodrich)
1850: Charles and Elizabeth’s eldest son, James (Jewett) Stillman was born.
1852: Charles and Elizabeth’s eldest daughter, Isabel Stillman was born.
1853: Yellow Fever breaks out in Brownsville, Elizabeth and her children move to Connecticut permenantly.
1853: Charles Stillman moves out and Thomas Carson, a longtime Brownsville mayor, moves in.
1858: Henry Miller sells the house to Manuel Trevino de los Santos Coy, Mexican Consul to Brownsville. 1866: Charles Stillman permanently moves back to Connecticut
1875: Charles Stillman passes away.
1875: Manuel Trevino, Porfirio Diaz and others gather to secretly plot the overthrow of the Mexican president Sebastian Lerdo de Tejada.
1876: Porfirio Diaz becomes president of Mexico, a position he would hold until 1910
1958: The Trevino family, after 100 years, sells their family home. The home is purchased by Chauncey Stillman, great-grandson of Charles Stillman.
1958: After restoration, the house is donated to the Brownsville Historical Association
1960: The Stillman House is opened as a public museum.
2008: Hurricane Dolly hits Brownsville, damaging the Stillman House.
2009: The Stillman House is re-opened to the public after restorations. (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.