City of London, England, United Kingdom
St Paulís Cathedral
These gardens are laid out as the footprint of the Chapter House and Cloister of the Medieval Cathedral which was destroyed by the Great Fire of London in 1666. The actual remains lie a few feet below.
The Chapter House and Cloister, designed by the royal mason William Ramsay in 1332, were among the first and finest examples of the 'perpendicular' style which was to dominate English architecture for the next two hundred years.
Both the octagonal Chapter House and the square Cloister were two-storeyed enabling the prominent buttresses at each angle to form 'a crown surrounding the casket within'. The Chapter Room, with its huge windows, was on the first floor above an open undercroft and it was here that the Chapter or governing body of the Cathedral held its meetings.
Location. 51° 30.803′ N, 0° 5.918′ W. Marker is in City of London, England. Marker is at the intersection of St. Paul's Churchyard and Godliman Street, on the right when traveling west on St. Paul's Churchyard. Touch for map. Located in front of St. Paul's Cathedral. Marker is in this post office area: City of London, England EC4M 8AD, United Kingdom.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. United Kingdom Firefighters National Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); John Wesley (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Temple Bar (about 90 meters away); Young Mens Christian Association (about 120 meters away); Old Change (about 120 meters away); “Pavls Cross” (about 120 meters away); The Grand Lodge of English Freemasons (about 120 meters away); Upholders' Hall (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in City of London.
Also see . . .
1. St Paulís Cathedral. (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. St Paulís Cathedral on Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 35 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 28, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.