Riverdale Park in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Town of Riverdale Park
Developers needed to provide prospective house buyers with transportation to their jobs in the city. And so the streetcar was born. Originally powered by horses and then by electric current, these omnibuses ran on steel tracks and stopped at set locations on a timetable, much like railroads, but on a small scale. A few cents bought a rider a trip downtown. The City & Suburban Railway established a station on this property, a concession to the Calvert family in exchange for the rail right-of-way. Streetcar systems, privately developed and operated, although with government backing to acquire the necessary rights-of-way, account for the development of Washington suburbs like Riverdale Park. The widespread adoption of the automobile after World War I (1914-1918) freed
Location. 38° 58.247′ N, 76° 56.049′ W. Marker is in Riverdale Park, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Woodberry Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4700 Woodberry Street, Riverdale MD 20737, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Calvert Hills: A National Register Historic District (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Riversdale Plantation (approx. 0.2 miles away); MacAlpine Icehouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); MacAlpine Farm (approx. 0.2 miles away); ERCO and Calvert Homes (approx. 0.2 miles away); Calvert Family Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Eternal Tribute (approx. half a mile away); Patrick Zentz (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Riverdale Park.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 29, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 62 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 29, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.