Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Valtierrilla in Municipality of Valtierrilla, Guanajuato, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

The Old Temple

 
 
The Old Temple Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 5, 2018
1. The Old Temple Marker
Inscription.
Templo Antiguo
Este edificio fue construido y bendecido en el siglo XVII, por lo que está considerado como el más antiguo de la comunidad de Valtierrilla. Su construcción se debe a la iniciativa de toda la población, pues necesitaban un templo en el cual se celebrara la santa misa. Así, el 18 de septiembre de 1723 la entonces Capilla de la Santa Cruz fue consagrada por el cura propietario de la Villa de Salamanca, el señor Joseph Bruno Garcia. A principios del siglo XX, el Templo Antiguo fue nombrado vicaria auxiliar de la parroquia de Salamanca, procurando con ello que los fieles recibieran los sacramentos en este lugar, sin la necesidad de ir hasta Salamanca, donde se encontraba la parroquia oficial, ahora Parroquia Antigua.

Años más tarde, en 1924, el templo fue azotado por un rayo que ocasionó serios estragos en el inmueble, provocando, incluso, derrumbre parcial en lo que se refiere a su torre, la cual al paso de los años quedó desaparecida, reconstruyéndose dicha torre a finales del siglo XX y en los primeros años del siglo XXI se llevó a cabo una total restauración de la antigua capilla, denominando ahora como de San Bernabé de Jesús. Debido a ello, en 1971 fue construido un nuevo templo como parroquia, cambiando la advocación de la Santa Cruz a la de Nuestro Señora de Guadalupe. Este
The Old Temple Marker English text image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 5, 2018
2. The Old Temple Marker English text
nuevo recinto religioso se levantó a un costado del antiguo, que quedó en desuso durante muchos años. Este templo forma parte de la ruta de los mártires debido a que en él ofició misa San Bernabé de Jesús Méndez Montoya, quien participó en el conflicto conocido como Guerra Cristera.

English:
The Old Temple
(Templo Antiguo)
This building was built in th eighteenth century, and is considered the oldest of Valtierrilla. Its construction was an initiative of the entire population, because they needed a temple to celebrate mass. Thus, on September 18, 1723, the Chapel of the Holy Cross was blessed and consecrated by the priest owner of the Villa de Salamanca, Mr. Joseph Bruno Garcia.

In the early twentieth century, the Old Temple was appointed assistant vicar of the parish of Salamanca, ensuring thereby that the faithful were able to receive the sacraments there, without needing to go to Salamanca, where the oficial parish was, now called Old Parish.

Years later, in 1924, the temple was struck by a bolt of lightning that caused serious damage in the building, to the point of partial collapse. As a result, in 1951 a new parish was built, changing its name from the Holy Cross to Our Lady of Guadalupe. This new church was built next to the old one, which was left unused for many years.
 
Location.
The Old Temple and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 5, 2018
3. The Old Temple and Marker
The Old Temple can be seen in the background in this view of the three-sided marker. The third side visible here mentions the name of the marker and that it belongs to a series known as the "Convent Route" (Ruta de los Conventos).
20° 31.748′ N, 101° 7.753′ W. Marker is in Valtierrilla, Guanajuato, in Municipality of Valtierrilla. Marker is on Calle Benito Juárez just east of Calle Juan de la Barrera, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Valtierrilla, Guanajuato 36883, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Virgin of Guadalupe Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Valtierrilla (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rectory and Sanctuary of Guadalupe (approx. 8.2 kilometers away); The Augustinian Ex-Convent of San Juan de Sahagún (approx. 8.4 kilometers away); Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla (approx. 8.4 kilometers away); The Miguel Hidalgo Civic Plaza (approx. 8.4 kilometers away); The Temple of Saint Augustine (approx. 8.4 kilometers away); The Temple of Jesus the Nazarene of the Three Falls (approx. 8.5 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Valtierrilla.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkChurches & ReligionColonial Era
 
The Old Temple image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 5, 2018
4. The Old Temple
The Virgin of Guadalupe Church is to the left in this view.
The interior of the Old Temple image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 5, 2018
5. The interior of the Old Temple
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 30, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 30, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement