Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San José Iturbide in Municipality of San José Iturbide, Guanajuato, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

To the Liberator Agustín Iturbide

 
 
To the Liberator Agustín Iturbide Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 6, 2018
1. To the Liberator Agustín Iturbide Marker
Inscription.  
Al Libertador
D. Agustin de Iturbide

En el centenario de su
entrada triunfal en la capital
de la Republica.
Uno de los pocos pueblos que
no han olvidado su memoria
San Jose de Iturbide
a 27 de septiembre de 1921.

English translation:
To the Liberator
Agustín de Iturbide

On the 100th anniversary of his triumphant entry into the capital of the Republic.
One of the few towns to have not forgotten his memory
San José de Iturbide
September 27, 1921.

 
Erected 1921.
 
Location. 20° 59.968′ N, 100° 23.11′ W. Marker is in San José Iturbide, Guanajuato, in Municipality of San José Iturbide. Marker is on Calle Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla just north of Calle Melchor Ocampo, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San José Iturbide, Guanajuato 37980, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. History of the City of San José Iturbide, Guanajuato
To the Liberator Agustín Iturbide Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 6, 2018
2. To the Liberator Agustín Iturbide Marker
The marker is towards the left on the front of the church, partially hidden by a column.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza of the Constituent Congress of 1917 (approx. 0.6 kilometers away).
 
Also see . . .  Agustín de Iturbide. The municipality and church are named after Agustín de Iturbide, the Spanish Royalist military leader and politician who famously ended the Mexican War of Independence by making a deal with the Insurgent leader Guerrero that would proclaim Iturbide the Emperor of Mexico. In a few short years Iturbide would be exiled and then return to Mexico only to be killed by a firing squad. (Submitted on May 30, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.) 
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionColonial EraWars, Non-US
 
The interior of the San José Parish Church image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 6, 2018
3. The interior of the San José Parish Church
An additional marker on the front of the San José Parish Church image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 6, 2018
4. An additional marker on the front of the San José Parish Church
This 1995 marker names the different church and lay leaders that worked on the church since its consecration in 1885. It reads:

A la memoria de los ilustres
Pbro. Lic. Nicolas Campa, Ing. Rodriguez y Arangoity, Mtro. Valentin Lopez, Pbro. Dr. Domingo Rodriguez, Ing. Rafael Arcaute, y Pbros. Juan Jose Plaza y Cipriano Rodriguez
Quienes con su incansable esfuerzo legaron este majestuoso monumento de fe y piedad
En el centenario de su consagracion
San Jose Iturbide, Gto., Octubre 14 de 1995
A cross on the southern side of the San José Parish Church image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 6, 2018
5. A cross on the southern side of the San José Parish Church
The inscription on this nearby cross has been mostly erased, but the legible portion reads:

Recuerdo de la Santa Mision dada …. bres
Jesus.
10 de febrero de 1922
An additional marker inside the San José Parish Church image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 6, 2018
6. An additional marker inside the San José Parish Church
This marker was near the entrance to the church, towards the northern wall. It reads:


Principales datos de la construcción de este templo de estilo neoclasico
El 5 de febrero de 1754 el Pbro. D. Jose Ma. Rodriguez tomo posesión del terreno. El 6 de mayo de 1866 el Sr. Cura D. Cipriano Rodriguez colocó la primera piedra. Dirigió la obra el arquitecto D. Rafael Arcaute. En 1873 la continuó el Sr. Pbro. O. Juan Jose Plaza. A principios de 1875 prosiguió el Sr. Cura D. Domingo Rodriguez y dirigió el maestro D. Valentin López. A fines del mismo año, y durante diez mas, el Pbro. Lic. D. Nicolas Campa trabajó hasta casi terminarlo. En 1941 el Sr. Cura D. Felipe Lavigne inicio los campanarios. Posteriormente otros párrocos han perfeccionado el templo.
Parroquia de San Jose Iturbide, Gto.
1º. de enero de 1977
Pbro. D. Filiberto Carrillo G.

English translation:
Important points in the construction of this Neoclassical temple:
On February 5, 1754, Fr. José Ma. Rodríguez took possession of the land. On May 6, 1866 Father Cipriano Rodríguez placed the first stone. The architect D. Rafael Arcaute directed the work. In 1873 Pbr. O. Juan José Plaza continued it. At the beginning of 1875 Father Domingo Rodríguez continued the work and directed the master builder Valentín López. At the end of the same year, and for ten more, the Pbr. Nicolás Campa worked, almost finishing it. In 1941 Father Felipe Lavigne started the bell towers. Later other parish priests have perfected the temple.
Parish of San José Iturbide, Guanajuato, January 1, 1977 – Pbr. Filiberto Carrillo G.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 30, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 30, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement