Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San José Iturbide in Municipality of San José Iturbide, Guanajuato, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

History of the City of San José Iturbide, Guanajuato

 
 
History of the City of San José Iturbide, Guanajuato Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 6, 2018
1. History of the City of San José Iturbide, Guanajuato Marker
The marker makes up part of an informational kiosk on the town plaza.
Inscription.
Historia y Ciudad de San José Iturbide, Gto.
La ciudad de San José Iturbide y sus alrededores, cuentan con pasajes históricos conectados con el acontecer de la Historia de Mexico, desde su fundación y la construcción del emblemático templo parroquial, pasando por su distintivo nombre dado del paso por estas tierras del ejercito Trigarante al mando del General Agustín de Iturbide, al final de la Guerra por la Independencia de México, los importantes acontecimientos en las épocas de la Guerras de Reforma, la Revolución Mexicana, hasta las leyendas generadas por el paso de los carruajes provenientes del Norte del país cargados de minerales rumbo a la ciudad de México, o aquellas surgidas por los acontecimientos proprios de la Guerra Cristera a principios del siglo pasado.

Fundación de la ciudad:
Bajo el nombre inicial de Casas Viejas, esta ciudad toma como fecha de fundación el 5 de febrero de 1754, fecha en que se tomó posesión del terreno donde se construiría el templo de la capilla ayuda de parroquia de Casas Viejas, en apoyo a la parroqui de San Juan Baustista Xichú, para poder celebrar misa y atender a los vecinos de las haciendas cercanas y demás parajes hasta la Hacienda de Charcas, siendo cura y juez ecleciástico de Xichú el Presbítero Bachiller José Mariano
History of the City of San José Iturbide, Guanajuato Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 6, 2018
2. History of the City of San José Iturbide, Guanajuato Marker
The marker is to the right in this view of the eastern portion of the town plaza.
Rodríguez.

La construcción de la primera Capilla de adobe de Casas Viejas se inició en el año de 1756; en Mayo de 1764, se comunica al Arzobispo de México de estarse concluyendo la nueva iglesia de la Ayuda de Parroquia; y en 1765 el padre Ignacio Borja y Guerrero, vicario de la Ayuda de Parroquia de San José Casas Viejas, solicita licencia para bendecir la nueva iglesia.

El Templo de la Parroquia:
Este majestuoso templo en el centro de la ciudad, con un estilo Neoclásico de vestíbulo con columnas de capiteles corintios, es sin duda la obra arquitectónica más simbólica de San José Iturbide, y de suma importancia cultural, dado que es una de las siete construcciones de este tipo en México y uno de los pocos templos católicos en el mundo que poseen tanta similitud con la basílica de San Pedro en Roma. Aunque se desconoce con exactitud el inicio de su construcción, los historiadores lo relacionan con la fecha del Acta de fundación de la parroquia en 1866, con el cura D. Domingo Rodríguez como iniciador de esta obra; los trabajos se dieron oficialmente por terminados en 1995, aunque al día de hoy aún se sigue trabajando en los acabados interiores del templo.

Los nombres de San José Iturbide:
A lo largo de su historia, esta ciudad y el hoy municipio, ha tomado varios nombres como resultado de los movimientos eclesiásticos, sociales y políticos
An additional view of the marker to the right and the central plaza image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 6, 2018
3. An additional view of the marker to the right and the central plaza
The San José Parish Church is in the distance to the right, behind the marker.
del pueblo, del estado de Guanajuato y del mismo acontecer del país:
· De 1754 a 1849 se reconocía al poblado como Congregación de Casas Viejas.
· De 1756 a 1849 se toma el nombre de San José Casas Viejas.
· De 1849 a 1928 el nombre es cambiado a Villa San José de Iturbide.
· De 1928 a 1948 el pueblo es nombrado oficialmente Ciudad Álvaro Obregón.
· Y el 18 de Septiembre de 1948, se decide regresar al nombre de San José de Iturbide, mismo que se ha mantenido hasta hoy en día, aunque también es formalmente conocida como sólo San José Iturbide.

English translation:
History of the City of San José Iturbide, Guanajuato
The city of San José Iturbide and its surroundings are connected to the many events of Mexican history, from its foundation and the construction of its emblematic temple, to its distinctive name given by the passing through these lands of the Army of the Three Guarantees under the command of General Agustín de Iturbide at the end of the War for the Independence of Mexico, the important events during the Reform Wars, the Mexican Revolution. Its history even includes those legends generated by the passage of carriages loaded with valuable minerals from the north of the country heading to Mexico City, or those arising from the events of the Cristero War at the beginning of the last century.
The nearby San José Parish Church, mentioned in the marker text image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, May 6, 2018
4. The nearby San José Parish Church, mentioned in the marker text


Foundation of the City:
Under its original name of Casas Viejas (Old Houses), this city was founded on February 5, 1754, date in which possession was taken of the land for the temple of the parish chapel of Casas Viejas, as part of the parish of San Juan Baustista Xichú. This allowed the chapel to be able to celebrate mass and attend to the inhabitants of the nearby haciendas and other places up to the Hacienda de Charcas, being priest and ecclesiastical judge of Xichú the Presbyter Bachiller José Mariano Rodríguez.

The construction of the first adobe chapel of Casas Viejas began in the year 1756. In May 1764, the Archbishop of Mexico was informed that the new parish church was being concluded and in 1765 Father Ignacio Borja y Guerrero, vicar of the Parish of San José Casas Viejas, requested permission to bless the new church.

The Temple of the Parish:
This majestic temple in the center of the city, with a Neoclassical style with columns of Corinthian capitals, is undoubtedly the most symbolic architectural work of San José Iturbide, and of great cultural importance, since it is one of the seven constructions of this type in Mexico and one of the few Catholic temples in the world that have so much similarity with the Basilica of Saint Peter in Rome. Although the beginning of its construction is unknown, historians relate it to the date of the Founding Act of the parish in 1866, with the priest Domingo Rodríguez as initiator of this work. The works were officially completed in 1995, although even today work is ongoing on the interior details of the temple.

The Names of San José Iturbide:
Throughout its history, this city and today's municipality has taken various names as a result of ecclesiastical, social and religious movements, as well as the politics of the town, of the state of Guanajuato and of the entire country of Mexico
· From 1754 to 1849 the town was recognized as the Congregation of Casas Viejas (Old Houses).
· From 1756 to 1849 it takes the name of San José Casas Viejas.
· From 1849 to 1928 the name is changed to Villa San José de Iturbide.
· From 1928 to 1948 the town is officially named Ciudad Álvaro Obregón.
· And on September 18, 1948, it was decided to return to the name of San José de Iturbide, which has remained to this day, although it is also formally known as San José Iturbide.
 
Location. 20° 59.989′ N, 100° 23.141′ W. Marker is in San José Iturbide, Guanajuato, in Municipality of San José Iturbide. Marker is on Calle Mariano Abasolo just east of Calle Plaza Principal, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San José Iturbide, Guanajuato 37980, Mexico.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. To the Liberator Agustín Iturbide (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza of the Constituent Congress of 1917 (approx. 0.6 kilometers away).
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionColonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 30, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 30, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement