Sarita in Kenedy County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Town of Sarita
The town of Sarita was chartered in 1903 and the St. Louis Brownsville & Mexico Railroad reached here in 1905. The depot stood just down La Parra Avenue where the tracks cross it. Although the depot was torn down in the 1970s, trains still pass through the town but no longer stop.
The Kenedys would take the train to Corpus Christi, Houston or elsewhere on business or shopping trips. If they returned late in the evening, they often spent the night in the family apartment upstairs, here in the Kenedy Pasture Company building and then took the six-mile journey to the ranch at La Parra the next morning.
La ciudad de Sarita se fundó en 1903 y el ferrocarril de St. Louis Brownsville & Mexico se prolongó hasta la ciudad en 1905. La estación estaba ubicada en la avenida La Parra donde cruzaban las vías del tren. Aunque se derrumbó la estación de tren en la decada de 1970, si bien los trenes todavía atraviesan la ciudad, ya no se detienen allí.
La familia Kenedy tomaba el tren para ir a Corpus Christi, Houston y otros destinos para los viajes de negocios o de compras. Si regresaban al anochecer o más tarde, frecuentemente se quedaban en el departamento de la familia — ubicado en el segundo piso del edificio de la Compañía de Pastizales Kenedy —
Erected by Kenedy Ranch Museum of South Texas.
Location. 27° 13.313′ N, 97° 47.489′ W. Marker is in Sarita, Texas, in Kenedy County. Marker is at the intersection of Mallory Street and East La Parra Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Mallory Street. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Kenedy Ranch Museum of South Texas. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 E La Parra Ave, Sarita TX 78385, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kenedy County Courthouse Construction (a few steps from this marker); Kenedy County (within shouting distance of this marker); Riviera - 1687 (within shouting distance of this marker); 1766 Exploration of Diego Ortiz Parilla (approx. 9.4 miles away); U.S. Army March to Rio Grande, 1846 (approx. 9.4 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Sarita, Texas. The land for the townsite was part of the Kenedy Ranch owned by John G. Kenedy, who named the new community after his daughter Sarita. The town was established in 1904 and served as a ranching center for the Kenedy Ranch and Kenedy Pasture Company. In 2003 the (Submitted on June 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Sarita Kenedy East. South Texas rancher and philanthropist, daughter of John G. and Marie Stella (Turcotte) Kenedy, was born on September 19, 1889, in Corpus Christi, Texas. Her grandfather was Mifflin Kenedy, founder of the vast La Parra Ranch in what was then Cameron County (now Kenedy County). Mrs East and her brother John G. Kenedy, Jr., were in charge of the 400,000-acre Kenedy ranch. Upon her brother's death in 1948, Sarita and her sister-in-law Elena Suess Kenedy became the sole heirs to the ranch. Sarita East also owned the San Pablo Ranch near Hebbronville and Twin Peaks Ranch in Colorado. She served as a county commissioner of Kenedy County and was on the board of directors of Alice National Bank. In addition to her business dealings she engaged in philanthropy especially to Catholic charities. (Submitted on June 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Sarita’s Secret. The train doesn't stop in Sarita anymore. They tore down the depot years ago, along with the hotel, the lumberyard, and the cotton gin. Sarita is not a ghost town in the usual sense. (Submitted on June 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 21 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.