Laurel in Sarasota County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Laurel Turpentine and Lumber Industry
Later, 4,000 acres were leased from the estate of Mrs. Potter Palmer for developing a turpentine operation called the McKeithan Still after Sam G. McKeithan, the manager. It was located northeast of the Seaboard Air Line Railway where it now crosses Laurel Road. A cemetery for Blacks, evidence of which has disappeared, was located on a knoll east of the still. About 1925 turpentining was replaced by the lumber business. J. Ray Arnold Lumber Company's large mill was north of the still's Black housing. The mill was connected by rail to nine or ten smaller mills. By 1930 the timber had been sawed and hauled out.
Erected 1987 by Sarasota County Historical Commission
Location. 27° 8.318′ N, 82° 26.743′ W. Marker is in Laurel, Florida, in Sarasota County. Marker is at the intersection of Laurel Road East and Mission Valley Blvd., on the right when traveling west on Laurel Road East. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nokomis FL 34275, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Laurel Turpentine Company / Blackburn Sawmill Quarters (approx. ¼ mile away); Johnson Chapel / Albee Quarters (approx. half a mile away); Shakett Creek / Estuary "the cradle of the ocean" (approx. ¾ mile away); Turpentine / Venice Ice House (approx. 1.2 miles away); History of Nokomis / Fred Albee (approx. 1.4 miles away); Nokomis School (approx. 1½ miles away); Curry Family / Wading Birds (approx. 1.6 miles away); Casey's Pass (approx. 2.3 miles away).
Categories. • African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 21, 2008, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. This page has been viewed 2,226 times since then. Last updated on September 27, 2008, by Philip Lohrenz of Staten Island, New York. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 21, 2008, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.