Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milton in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Thomas Byrd House

 

A City of Milton Historic Site

 
Thomas Byrd House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 2, 2018
1. Thomas Byrd House Marker
Inscription. In 1834, Thomas Byrd of Hall County purchased Land Lot 403, consisting of 40 acres, in Cherokee County for $400. Circuit riders often stayed in the two parsons rooms in the house. It also served as a stagecoach stop on the mail route to the gold mint in Dahlonega. The old road bed can still be seen. The Hopewell Baptist Church was constituted here in 1851. It was then the home of Rhoda Byrd Rogers, youngest daughter of Thomas Byrd. The house, owned by the City of Milton, serves as a Senior Center.
 
Erected 2018 by the City of Milton, Georgia.
 
Location. 34° 9.809′ N, 84° 17.234′ W. Marker is in Milton, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Hopewell Road and Birmingham Road. Touch for map. Marker located near the parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15690 Hopewell Road, Alpharetta GA 30004, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hopewell Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Double Branch Voting District Courthouse (approx. 1.8 miles away); Boiling Springs Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Nix - Bell House
The Thomas Byrd House image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 2, 2018
2. The Thomas Byrd House
(approx. 2.2 miles away); Thomas B. Newton House (approx. 2.7 miles away); Dinsmore Barn (approx. 2.9 miles away); Phillips Homestead (approx. 2.9 miles away); Walker Barn (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milton.
 
Regarding Thomas Byrd House. The City of Milton purchased the site from foreclosure in 2011 for $250,000 in order to save the structure, which is believed to be one of the oldest in North Fulton. Renovations began in July 2014 for the 2.5-acre site, which contains the nearly 4,000-square-foot, two-story home and dates back to at least the mid-1800s according to local historians. The building opened in 2015 as the Milton Senior Center.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionNotable Places
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 3, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 64 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 3, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement