Mason in Mason County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Fort Mason & Camp Llano C.S.A.
Fort Mason, located 5 blocks south, was headquarters for the first regiment Texas Mounted Rifles 1861-62. These Confederate troops occupied the line of old U. S. forts to give protection against Indians. 215 prisoners-of-war were confined here. In spring 1862, the line of frontier defense was tightened and Camp Llano was established 9 miles east. Texas Frontier Regiment occupied this post, part of a line a day's ride apart on horseback from the Red River to the Rio Grande. Settlers then used Fort Mason for protection. Scouting parties and patrols of Confederate and
state troops visited the post in aggressive warfare to keep Indians near their camps and away from settlements. Upon secession Mason County men joined regional, state and Confederate troops to protect the frontier. They usually had to supply their own guns, mounts and sustenance. Although large-scale raids had been checked, Indians roamed this area, stealing horses, attacking isolated farms, burning buildings, kidnapping women and children. However, an old Mason pioneer operated a one-mule stage route between Camp Colorado, Mason and Fredericksburg. Hiding from Indians at night, he and his mule made the trip every two weeks carrying the mail without mishap.
who served the Confederacy
Erected by the State of Texas 1964
Erected 1964 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 11277.)
Location. 30° 44.883′ N, 99° 13.876′ W. Marker is in Mason, Texas, in Mason County. Marker is at the intersection of San Antonio Street (U.S. 87) and Westmoreland Street, on the left when traveling north on San Antonio Street. Touch for map. Marker is located at the southeast corner of the Mason County Courthouse grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 Fort McKavett Street, Mason TX 76856, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mason National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Mason County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Mason County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Fort Mason (approx. 0.6 miles away); Two Sheriffs of Mason County (approx. 0.7 miles away); Mason County (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Fort Mason (approx. 1½ miles away); Todd Mountain (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mason.
More about this marker. Marker is a waist-high, engraved, pink granite slab.
Regarding Fort Mason & Camp Llano C.S.A..
Also see . . .
1. Fort Mason.
After the Mexican War and the annexation of Texas by the United States, the population of the state began to increase rapidly, but the increasing numbers were crowded into a limited area because Indians controlled the majority of the state. To open new areas and provide protection for settlers, in 1848 the United States War Department authorized a line of army forts from the Rio Grande to the Red River. Fort Mason's location on Post Oak Hill near Comanche and Centennial creeks played an important part in settlement of the area. Settlers at first stayed close to the fort, but as the aggressive attitude of the military became apparent, additional settlers located farther from the post. (Submitted on June 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Camp Llano.
Camp Llano, at the junction of Rock Creek and the Llano River in Mason County, was established by James M. Norris on March 29, 1862, as a ranger station for the Frontier Regiment. It was manned by members of the ranger company of Capt. H. T. Davis and engaged in scouting duty, probably until the consolidation of the Frontier Regiment in March 1864. (Submitted on June 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 64 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.