W.H. Stark House
Eastlake detailing decorates the porches and gables of this ornate Queen Anne style residence, built in 1893-94 for William Henry (1851-1936)and Miriam (Lutcher)(1859-1936) Stark. A financial and industrial pioneer, Stark headed several lumber and petroleum companies. His son H.J. Lutcher Stark (1887-1965) was noted for his cultural and educational philanthropies. Both men served as regents of the University of Texas. The Nelda C and H.J. Lutcher Stark Foundation restored the house.
Recorded Texas Historical Landmark
Entered in the National Register of Historic Places 1976
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11519.)
Location. 30° 5.57′ N, 93° 44.116′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on Sixth Street near West Green Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 Main Avenue, Orange TX 77630, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ever Changing Landscapes (within shouting distance of this marker); William Henry Stark (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church of Orange
Categories. • Architecture • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 96 times since then. Last updated on June 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2018.