Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Bluff Park and North Broadway Street

Natchez Trails

 
 
Bluff Park and North Broadway Street Marker image. Click for full size.
May 28, 2018
1. Bluff Park and North Broadway Street Marker
Inscription.
The Yazoo and Mississippi Valley Railroad built the passenger station on the bluff shortly after 1910, and the Illinois Central Railroad was the last railroad to own it. Like many smal towns across America, Natchez lost passenger service as the Automobile Age reached full maturity. By the end of World War II, passenger trains no longer stopped in Natchez. Abandoned railroad stations have been a primary focus of "adaptive reuse," a preservation movement to use old buildings for purposes other than those originally intended. This station became a restaurant in the mid-1970s.

About 1890, grocers and cotton factors Samuel Geisenberger and Joseph Friedler built a large warehouse adjacent to the railroad on Broadway Street. Both were second generation Jewish businessmen. Callon Petroleum Company bought the historic Geisenberger and Friedler building added a third story, and renovated the building to serve as company headquarters in the mid-1980s.

The Natchez Cotton Mill, built in 1872, sat on the site of the hotel built in 2007 that faces Broadway, and the nearby Rosalie Cotton Mill soon followed. The mills reflected local efforts to expand the region's economy beyond growing and ginning cotton to manufacturing cotton. These efforts also included cotton seed

Bluff Park and North Broadway Street Marker image. Click for full size.
May 28, 2018
2. Bluff Park and North Broadway Street Marker
oil mills. In 1887, a boiler explosion killed five workers in the Natchez Cotton Mill. Neither of the downtown cotton mills exist today, but the small houses built for workers survive in the area of Madison, North Wall, and Maple Streets. The 1907 arrival of the boll weevil and the Great Depression ended the city's efforts to develop cotton industries.

The Natchez Rotary Club installed the fountain in the Bluff Park in 1969 in honor of the club's fiftieth anniversary.
 
Erected by City of Natchez.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Natchez Trails marker series.
 
Location. 31° 33.775′ N, 91° 24.322′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of North Broadway and Franklin Street, on the right when traveling south on North Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Natchez MS 39120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ealey Brothers (within shouting distance of this marker); Bluff Park and South Broadway Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Natchez Trace (about 300 feet away); Intersection of North Canal and Jefferson streets (about 500 feet away); Spanish Colonial Natchez (about 500 feet away); Bluff Park - Playground for the City (about 500 feet away); Natchez (about 600 feet away); Commercial Bank Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 5, 2018.
Paid Advertisement