Corpus Christi in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Corpus Christi Cathedral Site
This site and the Corpus Christi Cathedral property were donated to the Diocese by the Kenedy family in 1938. Construction of the Cathedral started in 1939 and it was dedicated in 1940. The former Kenedy home, located where the Cathedral now sits, was used by the Sisters of Charity as a hospital in 1919. Later, it became the Cathedral High School and then a primary school. It was moved to this site in 1939 serving also as a community service center and U.S.O., and later as a Catholic Youth Center before destruction in 1952. The attached iron work was a part of the Kenedy home.
by order of
The Alhambra Baza No. 78
Corpus Christi, Texas
Erected 1978 by The Alhambra Baza No. 78, Corpus Christi.
Location. 27° 47.645′ N, 97° 23.79′ W. Marker is in Corpus Christi, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is at the intersection of North Upper Broadway and Lipan Street, on the right when traveling south on North Upper Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is a large metal tablet mounted on the ground, beside the sidewalk, at the southwest corner of the intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Corpus Christi TX 78401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Corpus Christi Cathedral (within shouting distance of this marker); Centennial House (within shouting distance of this marker); Gold Star Court of Honor (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Kinney's Trading Post (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Corpus Christi (approx. 0.2 miles away); Broadway Bluff Improvement (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lone Star Fair (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Cheston L. Heath School (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corpus Christi.
Also see . . . Corpus Christi Cathedral.
A site at Upper Broadway and Lipan streets known as City Bluff, overlooking Corpus Christi Bay, was donated by the John G. Kenedy, Jr., family. An old Kenedy family home on the property was moved to allow for construction. Ground was broken on March 1, 1939. The cornerstone was laid on March 1, 1940; on July 17, Corpus Christi Cathedral was dedicated. (Submitted on June 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 71 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.