Blessing in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Blessing Library Association
In the first years of the 20th century, Jonathan Pierce filed a deed with the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Railroad (Southern Pacific) to lay out a town along the rail line at the junction of two major roads. He named the community Blessing, and a second rail company soon built additional tracks through town.
In 1912, concerned about the educational and cultural needs of the community, local women established the Blessing Library Association. Edna Woodruff served as the group's first president. Two years later, the association joined the Texas Federation of Women's Clubs, assisting in the organization of the Matagorda County Federation of Women's Clubs in 1916.
In 1917, prominent rancher and businessman A.B. Pierce, son of the town founder, donated a former ranch building that had also served as an office and bank. The association converted it to library facilities. Under the direction of Pierce's wife, Adelaide, who also served as president of the county federation, the association funded construction of a community house in 1921. It became a social and cultural center for the town, and was the scene of dances, movies,
In the 1950s, the association reorganized as a non-profit charitable corporation, thus ending its longtime partnership with the women's club. The new group continued to offer the community house for events, meetings and services. In 1991, the facilities transferred to Matagorda County, which maintains the property as a social and activity center for Blessing-area residents.
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13257.)
Location. 28° 52.318′ N, 96° 13.249′ W. Marker is in Blessing, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is on Avenue B (Farm to Market Road 616) west of Avenue A, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located directly in front of the Blessing Community Center building, beside the sidewalk, near the street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 560 Avenue B (FM 616), Blessing TX 77419, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Hawley Cemetery (approx. 2.9 miles away); Clemville (approx. 9.9 miles away); J.S. Abercrombie Mineral Company (approx. 11.2 Danevang (approx. 11.9 miles away); Ansgar Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery (approx. 11.9 miles away); Danevang Lutheran Church (approx. 11.9 miles away); Danevang Pioneer Monument (approx. 11.9 miles away); Danevang Community Hall (approx. 11.9 miles away).
Categories. • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Railroads & Streetcars • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.