Hattiesburg in Forrest County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
This schoolhouse was established in the Arena community of Jackson County by Richard Roberts in the 1890s. Serving grades one through twelve, the curriculum consisted of reading, writing and arlthmetic. The Roberts Schoolhouse closed its doors in 1921, and M.M. Roberts provided support to move the buflding to the campus of USM in 1981.
Erected 2011 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 31° 19.675′ N, 89° 20.11′ W. Marker is in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, in Forrest County. Marker can be reached from Golden Eagle Avenue north of Pearl Street. Touch for map. Inside the Owings/McQuagge Hall. Marker is in this post office area: Hattiesburg MS 39401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Demonstration School (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Hub Where Buffett Met "Fingers" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clyde Kennard (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hub City Lodge No 627 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans of All Wars Monument Old Hattiesburg High School (approx. 2.4 miles away); St. Paul Methodist Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); McLeod House (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hattiesburg.
More about this marker. Marker is accessible ONLY by entering the Owings-McQuagge Hall. Located in a courtyard in center of building.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 8, 2018.