Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Braeutigam Family
In 1870, seventeen years after the Army decommissioned and abandoned Fort Martin Scott, Johann Wolfgang Braeutigam bought the 640 acre property from John Twohig for $1,650. With several of the original buildings in decline, Braeutigam set about transforming the old fort into his family homestead.
The Braeutigam family moved into the post's original guardhouse. From salvaged bits of other buildings, they added more rooms as well as front and back porches. Additionally, they hand-dug a well, lined with limestone, and planted trees, shrubs, and grapes. Later, they built a saloon across the old parade ground near the road leading into Fredericksburg. The Braeutigams also built the first dancehall in the county, and made oval tracks for horse races. The first Gillespie County Fair was held in 1881 at what the locals called Braeutigam's Garten.
Tragedy struck in September, 1884, when thieves attempted to rob the saloon. Johann W. Braeutigam resisted and was murdered by the robbers. The family closed the saloon and the remaining children sold their interest in the place to Henry, the youngest son. The property stayed in the Braeutigam
Location. 30° 14.933′ N, 98° 50.719′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker can be reached from East Main Street (U.S. 290) 0.2 miles west of Heritage Hills Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located within the Fort Martin Scott parade grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1606 E Main St, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Guardhouse (a few steps from this marker); The Natural Setting (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sutler's Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Peace with the Indians (within shouting distance of this marker); Uncovering the Past (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Barracks (about 300 feet away); The Town and the Fort (about 400 feet away); The Comanche Indians (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
More about this marker. Fort Martin Scott is a restored United States Army outpost in Fredericksburg, Texas, that was active from 1848 until 1853. It was part of a line of frontier forts established to protect travelers and settlers within Texas.
Regarding The Braeutigam Family.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Fort Martin Scott
Also see . . .
1. About the Braeutigams. Johann Valentin Braeutigam and his family made the decision to leave Kaltenlengsfeld, Germany for the Republic of Texas in 1845. Johann and his family departed Bremen, Germany in September 1845 aboard the ship Johann Dethardt. They arrived at Indianola, Texas in December 1845. Aboard the ship with Johann (born 2-26-1791): Maria Braeutigam - wife born 12-16-1795; Johann Wolfgang Braeutigam - son born 3-16-1829; Anton Braeutigam - relationship unknown born about 1815. Valentin would die at Indianola, along with many other German immigrants. His family departed for the German settlement of New Braunfels Texas in early 1846. They would later be among the first families to make their new home in Fredericksburg, Texas. (Submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Braeutigam Farm. After the U. S. Military abandoned Fort Martin Scott in 1866, local residents scavenged the site for lumber and stone for use as building materials. The property owners, John Twohig and J.J.B. Wright, endeavored (Submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.