Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Natural Setting
Of the first soldiers to arrive at Fort Martin Scott, none were natives of Texas. Many came from eastern states or were from Europe. Having traded familiar surroundings for the Texas wilderness, soldiers could identify with the newly arrived German immigrants living nearby in Fredericksburg.
The landscape included a variety of flora and fauna. Live oak and mesquite trees dotted the landscape and an abundance of colorful wildflowers carpeted the fields every spring. While patrolling in the countryside, soldiers encountered elk and white tail deer, black bears, mountain lions, wild turkeys and mockingbirds. They also found armadillos, an animal unknown to the soldiers from the East and Europe. Other creatures abounded such as skunks, squirrels, rattlesnakes and horned lizards.
The residents at the fort relied on Barons Creek for all their water. They drank from the clear-running, spring-fed waters and used it in preparing meals. The laundresses retrieved water from the creek for washing clothes and linens. Soldiers hauled water to the post garden to water the crops. Additionally, soldiers used water from the creek to mix mortar for constructing the post buildings.
Location. 30° 14.922′ N, 98° 50.734′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg Touch for map. Marker is located within the Fort Martin Scott parade grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1606 E Main St, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Braeutigam Family (within shouting distance of this marker); Peace with the Indians (within shouting distance of this marker); The Guardhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sutler's Store (within shouting distance of this marker); The Barracks (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Uncovering the Past (about 300 feet away); The Town and the Fort (about 400 feet away); The Comanche Indians (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
More about this marker. Fort Martin Scott is a restored United States Army outpost in Fredericksburg, Texas, that was active from 1848 until 1853. It was part of a line of frontier forts established to protect travelers and settlers within Texas.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Fort Martin Scott
Also see . . . Fort Martin Scott. The fort was one (Submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 45 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.