Near Baconton in Mitchell County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Gum Pond Community
Mt. Enon Baptist Church, the last remnant of the nineteenth century community (one mile north) supplied the spiritual, cultural and educational needs of the surrounding plantations. The church was constituted in 1856 and the current building built in 1888. General Joseph Wheelerís troops once stopped here while returning Federal prisoners to Andersonville. The church also housed “Ravenwood,” the first academy in Mitchell County.
After the coming of the railroad in 1869, Gum Pond declined and many of the residents moved west to establish the town of Baconton.
Erected 1982 by Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 101-2.)
Location. 31° 23.273′ N, 84° 6.531′ W. Marker is near Baconton, Georgia, in Mitchell County. Marker is at the intersection of Georgia Route 93 and Stage Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baconton GA 31716, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mitchell County War Memorial (approx. 12.3 miles away); Old City Well (approx. 12.4 miles away); Mitchell County (approx. 12.4 miles away); Georgia Civil Rights Trail: The Albany Movement (approx. 13.1 miles away); Hawthorne Trail (approx. 13.2 miles away); Ray Charles (approx. 13.2 miles away); C.B. (Chevene Bowers) King (approx. 13.3 miles away); The Bridge House (approx. 13.3 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 71 times since then. Last updated on June 9, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.