San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Guenther's Upper Mill
Trained as a millwright in his native Germany, Carl H. Guenther (1826-1902) started his San Antonio operation in 1859 at the site of the present Pioneer Flour Mills. In 1868 he built another dam and mill upstream at this location. Because it was closer to town, the upper mill was an outlet for products from both plants. About 1900 the Guenther family began operating exclusively from the downstream facility. The vacated upper mill housed a macaroni factory, an ice cream company, and later a garage. In 1926 the structure was razed to widen the San Antonio River.
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4808.)
Location. 29° 24.958′ N, 98° 29.616′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker can be reached from Washington Street north of East Arsenal Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located on the San Antonio River Walk, in Washington Street Park, north of the Arsenal Street Bridge. Marker is in this post office area: San Antonio TX 78204, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of United States San Antonio Arsenal (within shouting distance of this marker); Gustav Blersch House Alfred Giles House (about 500 feet away); Sartor House (about 500 feet away); The Oge House (about 600 feet away); Norton-Polk-Mathis House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Elias and Lucy Edmonds House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Television History was Made Here / Aquí Se Hizo Historia en la Televisión (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Also see . . .
1. Guenther's Upper Mill Ruins. (This link presents historic photos of Guenther's 1868 mill at this location, as well as photos of the remaining mill ruins.) (Submitted on June 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. C. H. Guenther's Upper Mill on the San Antonio River. (This link presents 1876 photo of Guenther's Upper Mill.) The mill was located on the riverbank opposite the U.S. Arsenal. This was Guenther's third mill, but his first to use a water turbine for power. The dam for the mill was dynamited in 1926 as part of flood control efforts. The mill's foundation on the river's east bank (Submitted on June 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 64 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 9, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.