Victoria in Capital Regional District, British Columbia — The Canadian Pacific
Canadian Paciﬁc Marine Terminal Building
This building was constructed in 1924 as the Canadian Pacific Marine Terminal building. Designed by the architectural partnership of F.M. Rattenbury and P.L. James it became headquarters for the Canadian Pacific British Columbia Coast Steamship Service and gateway to Victoria for passengers travelling aboard C.P.R. coastal vessels. Its imposing classical presence continued to enhance the experience of countless visitors and allied armed forces personnel through the 1930's, 1940's, & beyond. The last ship on a regular run to land passengers at this site was the "Princess Marguerite" then a Canadian Pacific steamship. In 1963 C.P. moved to another adjacent location, the building played an important role in the capital's maritime history, so that it may continue to grace the waterfront, in 1978 it came under the stewardship of the Provincial Capital Commission.
Erected by Provincial Capital Commission.
Location. 48° 25.263′ N, 123° 22.298′ W. Marker is in Victoria, British Columbia, in Capital Regional District. Marker is at the intersection of Belleville St and Menzies Street, on the right when traveling west on Belleville St. Touch for map. THe marker is on the South side of The
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Commemoration of the Treaty Between Great Britain and the Russian Empire (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mackenzie Papineau Battalion of the International Brigades (within shouting distance of this marker); Creation of the Province of British Columbia (within shouting distance of this marker); Knowledge Totem (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Kwakiutl Bear Pole (about 180 meters away); Tsukuba (about 180 meters away); Juan Francisco de la Bodega y Quadra (about 180 meters away); Fort Victoria (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victoria.
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2018, by Col. James F. Jamison, USMC (Ret) of Coronado, California. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 9, 2018, by Col. James F. Jamison, USMC (Ret) of Coronado, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.